Title: Group Home Youth Counselor
Reports To: Group Home Coordinator
Job Family: Residential
Department: Clinical Staff
Supervises: Residential Students
Last Updated: July 2022
Salary: $20-$24 per hour based on experience
Hanna Center Mission Statement:
At Hanna, our guiding belief is that every young person deserves to have a pathway to a productive and rewarding life, rather than living as a victim of circumstance. We envision a world in which every individual grows up resilient and healthy, unshackled from the impact of adverse childhood experiences and emotional trauma.
Building on a 75-year heritage of educating and caring for trauma-impacted youth, Hanna is turning a page and embarking on an exciting new chapter. Our vision calls for more effectively leveraging our assets, expanding support to a broader population, and multiplying our impact in our community and beyond. Our focus is three- fold: creating a continuum of trauma-informed care for our students and Sonoma County, including mental health services for youth on campus and in the community; preparing students for independence and success in life, including transitional housing and education-to-career pathways that connect them with opportunities; and building productive partnerships that will provide our community with access to transformational resources.
The investments we are making today will multiply Hanna’s impact and usher in a brighter future for thousands of young people and their families, whose lives will be transformed for the better by the Hanna experience.
Key Function/Purpose of Position:
The Group Home Youth Counselor shall be responsible for assisting and supervising students within a group home environment and shall serve as a role model who demonstrates the core values of the organization. The Group Home Youth Counselor shall work collaboratively with other members of the organization to support students with developing socially appropriate behaviors and achieving a positive daily living experience within a therapeutic group home environment. Additionally, the Group Home Youth Counselor shall uphold a positive and supportive environment and will promptly de-escalate crisis situations to ensure a safe and secure living environment.
- Demonstrate general social skills to students and plan activities and trips
- Chart and administer medications and observe safety and emergency procedures
- Demonstrate positive interactive relationships and model clear and effective boundaries
- Maintain an orderly environment and assist students with completing homework assignments
- Collaborate with colleagues, assist with transports, and participate in weekly in-service training
Essential Skills & Qualities:
- High level of empathy and integrity
- Demonstrated adaptability and flexibility
- Natural ability to connect with children and youths
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Above-average active listening and critical thinking skills
- Behavior modeling
- Trauma-informed care
- De-escalation and crisis management
- Children and youth relationship-building
- Historical trauma
- Parallel processes
- Community trauma
- Universal precautions
- Intergenerational trauma
- $20.00 to $24.00 per hour
- Childcare and/or youth residential settings
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or equivalent experience
- Complete 8 and 16-hour Department of Social Services Assessment
- Certified or ability to become certified in CPR, First Aid, and Community Water Safety
- Complete Mandated Child Abuse Reporting, Ethical Standards, Crossing Boundaries of Employee Conduct
- 21 years of age or older
- Lift and/or carry up to 50 lbs.
- Required to bend, squat, stoop, and walk stairs
- Clear background check, pre-employment drug screening, and TB test
- COVID-19 vaccination and booster or verified medical/religious exemption
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
Hanna is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.